January 19, 2009

Rachel, Redeemer of Banal Pop Music

Rachel, there are songs out there I just
wouldn't like - in fact I don't like - but
there's a line or something which captures
my feelings for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwJtKava4Wo


This James Taylor song just wouldn't do it
for me, but he sings

Everytime I see your smiling face, I have to smile myself.

And this is so true of me. I often think you could never
know me, just because you cheer me up so much. When
you're not around, I'm much less happy. Wonderful you.
I still can't really enjoy the whole song, but I'll still play
over and over the one line in my head while walking down
the street.

And here's a song I know Rachel doesn't like,
but for me though I want to believe but can't
in the lines:

And all the roads that lead you on are winding
And all the lights that light the way are blinding

as if they might someday lead to Rachel and myself
being together, there is one line that makes me cling
to this song, which I never liked until one lovesick
day by a skating rink, I heard it and linked it to Rachel,
especially the line I can't help but find true:

I don't believe that anybody feels the way I do about you now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hzrDeceEKc