January 10, 2009

If You Could Read My Mind, Leah

I can't believe I'm linking to this.
When I was younger I would have
looked down on it horribly as I was a horrible
snob. But hearing it tonight on The Midnight
Special,

"And I will never be set free
As long as I'm a ghost you can not see"

I gasped when I heard that line. Shock of
recognition indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta0a3DFUU0Y



I'd go farther and say there's an intriguing
relationship between extravagant striving for artfulness (just why I used to look down on it)
and complete artlessness - though he's obviously aware
it's hokey as the "paperback hero" makes clear,
but he believes in the hokiness just as he believes in his
old fashioned singing style. Art that covers artlessness which I
guess I'd call honesty. Notice, and this is very important.
He continues calling her Love.