December 27, 2008

E pur io torno

E pur io torno, qui linea al centro,
qual foco sfera e qual ruscello al mare,
e se ben luce alcuna non apare
ah, so ben io, che sta il mio sol qui dentro.

(And so I turn back, a line to its center,
A spark to its source and a brook to the sea,
And even though the light does not appear,
ah, still I know well, that my only sun lives inside. -
my translation)
- - Gian Francesco Busenello
- -L'Incoronazione di poppea

Situated at the center of a circle,
No matter in which direction you run,
You run into the same rounded line,
The same boundry.

My memory of you
Bounds me in its circle,
And it often causes me joy,
Such joy, for such a few moments
But a little farther out,
The painful desire to see you again
Bounds my world,
Circle encircled in a circle of...
You finish the thought,
But anyway you finish it
I am bounded in by

You who are not there.