February 8, 2009

Romantic Hour, Rachel

The Romantic Hour, Rachel,
Saturday Night set aside for
Thoughts of you.

The Reality Hour, Rachel,
Set aside for what I find most real:
Thoughts of you.

The Rachel Hour, Rachel,
What else do I have but
Thoughts of you.

Thoughts of you. Happy Time,
Saturday night alone set aside for
Thoughts of you,

But next Saturday is Valentine's Day,
Look out! How happy will it prove -
My intense aloneness with
Thoughts of you.


PS: I have to admit I fear Valentine's Day
this year. Just have to get through it,
I guess. Sunday Morning has never looked
so good.

One of my friend Hurt's strange little found photoworks
deals with Valentine's Day. He has written
in pencil these generous words over the image of
a joyful dancer, and I try to offer them in the same
spirit of generosity to you, my beloved:

It's Unfair AND Stupid
by Hurt McDermott

It's unfair & stupid
That manufactured holidays
Should have such a hold
Over us, but they do.

The more powerful the imagination,
The more vulnerable.

Oh be happy!
Be Happy on Valentine's Day
Without me.